Rust be gone


As I mentioned, the heddles, heddle bars, and tie up chains on the latest loom were rusty.  The heddle bars are pretty easy to clean up with a little WD40 and fine steel wool. The heddles themselves are a little tougher.  For one thing, there are a lot more of them than there are heddle bars.  It’s not exactly easy to scrub the skinny things with steel wool either.  I soaked the tie up chains in Diet Dr Pepper (we didn’t have Coke) and that removed some of the rust from them.  I soaked the heddles in a different cola and it didn’t seem to remove much.

Krud Kutter Rust Remover to the rescue. I bought 1 bottle to see if it worked.  Here are the heddles taking a bath


They’re actually in the plastic lid that goes on that pan.  It’s time consuming because I can only fit so many heddles in the amount of liquid I have.  And here are some before and some after their dip

I still need to dip the chains and I hope after I get all the heddles done, it will still be potent enough to remove the rust from those.  If not, it’s back to the store for another bottle.

The highlights


Highlights of the last couple of weeks

I wove 3 scarves.

The first one was shadow weave.  I didn’t want it to be too glaring but the design doesn’t even show up because the colors were too close.  Lesson learned

The second two were fine.  The solid pink was a birthday gift (and late, argh).  The other one I wanted to see what it would look like to have one color warp and another color weft when doing huck.

All the scarves were made with 8/2 Tencel, and I failed to measure any of them after wet finishing.  I measured before but damned if I can find that piece of paper anywhere.

The Man’s truck was about 2 weeks shy of being 4 years old.  Because it was starting to cost us some major money with electrical problems (wtf, it’s only 4 years old!), because he had a Mustang before he got the truck and missed the Mustang, and because a new Mustang gets way better gas mileage than his truck, he traded the truck in for the Mustang.

Now one might thing that would put an end to the loom purchases, and one would be wrong.  I bought another loom.  A Harrisville 22″ 8s/10t loom.  It went into the trunk of my car but hung out just a hair so we tied the trunk lid down and home it came.  I’m in the process of fixing it up.  Most of the leather cables had broken so the previous owner had used linen in it’s place.  I’m going to get new cable and make them all match. I’m also de-rusting, which seems to be the case with every used loom I’ve bought.  I was hoping I’d be able to use this as a workshop loom but that’s not going to happen.  I now have to sell a loom because there just isn’t room for 4.  I was already pushing it with 3.  I just have to decide which I want to sell.