Weaving with 60/2 silk, the finale


It’s done!  It turns out that all the worry and stress were for nothing.  There was not a single broken warp end.  I really thought the flat steel heddles would have done a number on the threads, but it didn’t.  After the scarf was done, I had a little warp left to play with.  Being as I was in the safe zone, I wanted to see just how much of a beating the silk could take before it snapped.  Using some 20/2 cotton, I wove what was left.  Still no broken warp ends.  60/2 silk is much stronger than I thought.  I took it to the weaving guild this past weekend for show and tell, and got many many compliments on it.  Here are a few pictures, which do not do it justice if I do say so myself.  (I swear I checked these pics in Picnik but now they look darker.  When I grow up, I want to make pictures look like the real thing. *sigh*)

There are a few more on my Flickr page.  I should have taken some from farther away but didn’t think about it until now.

Frost Crytals in Silk by Doramay Keasbey from the book Twill Thrills
Warp and Weft: RedFish DyeWorks 60/2 silk sett at 48 epi
Started threading Dec 19, 2009
Finished January 8, 2010

Funny story though.  I was threading and probably 3/4 of the way through, I counted the threads and counted the heddles and the numbers. did. not. match!  I went back through the threading and did find a mistake.  I had threaded one set of four heddles twice.  Rethreaded, being extremely careful.  Again, 3/4 of the way through and counted.  Again, no match.  There might have been a few tears.  I started pulling the threads out of the heddles again and after I’d pulled out about 200 threads, a thought came to mind.  Maybe I should check my cheat sheet.  Let’s say it should be threaded 1 2 3 4 over and over and end with 3.  I had incorrectly marked that it should end on 2.  (If only the threading were that short of a sequence!) Still, I had pulled out those 200 threads for nothing.  They were right.  When I started weaving the scarf, I told myself that if there was a threading error, I was going to cut the silk off the loom and throw it away because if it wasn’t right after rethreading that many times, it would never be right!   I’m glad it was right.

Advertisements

New socks


Donna and I have been yarn and gift swapping for several years.  This year, I fell behind.  Time got away from me.  I mean, I knew December 25th was coming but the procrastinator in me refused to believe it.  I farted around long enough that I didn’t get her gift sent in time for it to reach her before she left for her holiday trip.  Then when I knew she was going to be out of town, I farted around for another week.  Bad Jill, Bad!  My self inflicted punishment was to not open her gift to me until hers was at least sent and had time to get there.  I actually opened these a couple of days ago but taking the picture… see procrastinator note above.

Hand knit socks!

Silly cat!  Let’s try that again.

There we go!  I even put little holly images on the corners.

January 2


Occasionally, I’ll go through all of my weaving magazines and books, looking for ideas for my next project.  What I was really looking for were baby blankets and what fiber most seem to be made from.  While I did find several blankets, I found something else too.  A long coat that I think even I, with my simple skills, might possibly be able to sew together.  I’m not sure I would really call it a coat.  For me, a coat is something thick and sometimes bulky, with a lining. This is just woven fabric, cut, folded, and sewn.  A long time ago, when I decided I wanted to learn to weave, I thought that would be a great way to use up my knitting stash.  A friend warned me that it didn’t necessarily work that way (and she was right, I have more yarn now than before) but I think this coat would be good for using up some of that stash yarn.  Now I just have to go through all that yarn and see what fiber I have the most of.  This might take awhile!