The latest


Quite a bit has gone on in the last month.

I started a sock on a trip.  The little bit that I got done didn’t look anything like what’s in the book.  I realized that I was reading the chart starting at the top (like I was reading a weaving draft) instead of starting at the bottom (like a knitting chart).  I ripped that out and got started again but that was about as far as it went.

The in-laws were here for a bit.  The Man said I needed another loom.  Then he said 2 looms.  (Yes, although it seems random, those 3 sentences all tie together.)

Saw 3 gopher snakes in the backyard, 2 of which seemed to be very fond of each other (if you know what I mean, hubba hubba).

Gardening is going well.  We’ve already eaten all the radishes that we planted.  We’re not planning on planting any more since they’re getting a hot bite to them.  Tomatoes are getting nice and plump, though none are red yet.

Our 14 year old kitty had a stroke, or at least that’s what we think.  All blood work was good so vet said it’s probably neurological.  A guy my husband works with said their cat was diagnosed as having a stroke after she had the same exact symptoms our cat displayed.  She’s getting back to normal now but it was pretty scary for a couple of days.  This also puts getting another used loom on hold.  $$$ Emergency vet and regular vet visit 😦  That’s okay though.

I’ve been weaving.  I swear sometimes I think the more I do, the worse I get.  I wound too many threads for the warp, couldn’t seem to get even tension on the warp for the life of me, tied up the treadles wrong, threading error #1 was found 3 inches in so I unwove and rethreaded.  Threading error #2 was found 2 FEET or more into the warp, it is now a design feature for those 2 feet or more.  Everything seems to be going well now, knock on wood.  I have 2 more feet to go, then it’s off the loom.

It was hard to get a decent picture of the pattern.  I stuck a towel behind it so it would show up better.  This is destined to become a panel for a door with glass panes.  I wound on enough for 2 panels and I’m through the first one.   I wanted something that would let light in but would block anyone seeing in.  Being as there are no houses behind us, just the random walkers, these should work fine.  If not, they’ll become table runners or something.  The only problem is my loom only weaves 22″ and the area I need to cover is 21″.  With shrinkage, I’m probably going to be short on width so I may have to use 2 panels per door.

Advertisements

3 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Elisa
    Jun 04, 2009 @ 12:57:01

    Your weaving is beautiful. Love the pattern – they’d look great on my windows if they don’t fit yours . . .

    Glad kitty is getting better. Hope she makes a full recovery.

    Reply

  2. Janice in GA
    Jun 04, 2009 @ 18:09:48

    So jealous! The weaving looks great, your husband wants you to have more looms (and I’m trying to figure out how to get ONE).

    Oh well. I’ll have to console myself with my 4 spinning wheels, I guess. 🙂

    Reply

  3. Beth
    Jun 08, 2009 @ 13:04:51

    Your door is going to look beautiful!

    I hope your kitty improves!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: